2016: A Year in Gaming


I'm no gaming journalist. I don't get paid to play games. I don't get free games...well, not for any reason other than they were free anyway; I don't get games from publishers expecting a nice review. But, I game. Sometimes, I write about those games.

Most of my gaming occurs in the evening when my family has all retreated from the den and I have the TV and sound system to myself. If you've followed me for any amount of time, you'd probably expect me to be into gritty, horror games, but actually, I'm a chicken and rarely play anything that expressly seeks to frighten (this is actually why I write horror, I deal with a lot of my own fears and want to scare people the way that I'm scared of basically everything; but that's a psychological discussion for another time). I do play those games on occasion, but as you'll see at the end of this post, most of my gaming is of the quirky-ilk. I like, er, casual gaming. That's so often used as a bad word in gaming circles, like if you aren't playing hardcore games aimed at the core gaming community then why the hell are you playing a game in the first place? I don't feel that way, and I think anyone that feels that way probably voted for Tru...Tru... Um. Voted for Best Game of the Year with their hearts certainly in the right places, I'm sure.

I kid! Of course, most of gaming culture that I have encountered and interacted with are happy with any video game experience to speak of. Games are everywhere these days! You may not even think that you're a gamer when you might actually be gaming even more than myself! Smart phones...jeez, that's such a passe thing to refer to them as. Is that what we still call them? They're just our phones now, right? Except they're really computers that also happen to have phone-call making capabilities...I've digressed severely. Games are everywhere and you can play them on anything. Table top gaming is experiencing a resurgence. Card games far beyond Texas Hold 'Em are in every household these days. There's games everywhere you look.

But I'm talking video games. Console games, PC games, and phone games. This year I played more than 50 games and I know for a fact there are some I failed to mark on my log, either because I only played them for the tiniest amount of time, or I forgot to add them even if I played them for more than an hour or even more than once. But, following is a fairly comprehensive list of the games that I played, when I started them, and when I beat them (if I did). Some games I played in the online multiplayer, some online cooperatively with my buddy Dave, really my only gaming partner (and I'm fine with that! Frank, if you read this, join the PC Master Race where there are no fees just to play online), some I played on the couch with my daughter and wife. Most, however, are single-player experiences with narratives that I view much the same way as one would a novel or a movie.

I've probably said it a number of times, either in previous gaming-log posts, or those occasions where I felt compelled to write about a single gaming experience, but a lot of games these days are so much more engrossing than TV or books. You're actively participating in the narrative, sometimes making choices that affect the plot, or plodding (sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad) to the next story-beat to see what happens to the characters you're spending so much time with.

Since I only get to play in the evenings for maybe an hour, even a short game can take me a while to conquer, so I feel like I tend to get my money's worth out of the games that I play. Sometimes I mainline just to get through, my "stack of shame" is something to be really, really ashamed of (damn you Humble Bundle and your charitable ways), but that doesn't mean I don't get any enjoyment out of games that offer a lot of side-quests I choose not to tackle. Rather, knowing that a game is that much larger gives me reason to revisit sometime later. Grand Theft Auto V is one I've dipped back into a number of times even though I've "beaten" it. So, in the list that follows, there's a few games that don't have a start date, just an asterisk, those are games that I've beaten and come back to. Mario Maker gets a pretty regular visit from me. Playing Mario Kart with the family. Loading DOOM up again because why the hell (lol) wouldn't you revisit it?

Speaking of, notable experiences this year included DOOM, this newest iteration. That's a grin from ear to ear even as you're dying over and over because it's not punishing you, you're punishing it. Flying through demons like a human wrecking-ball made of bullets that shoots bullets as it's flying around and those bullets are probably firing bullets, too (I'm not making that up), is just so damn fun! Yes, it's violent and gory, but this takes the worst of 80's parents' fears of the vidjawhatchamacallems and delights in it. It is heavy and bright and loud and loaded to the gills with guts and guns. You're so badass in this game that even Hell has created an anti-religion around you; you're the nightmares' nightmare and you're followed by shredding guitars and blown-off faces and blown-out minds.

Jeez, now I want to go play it again.

Also, in March, I played and defeated all 10 "main" Mega Man games. I wanted to try and squeeze in some Mega Man X, but the last couple of games took up a lot of my time as I tried to burn through "Mega March." It was a trip of nostalgia, as I had played and beat a number of those in my youth, but it was totally worth it.

I also found that I really dig the genre of gaming coming to be known as "walking simulators." These are narrative experiences where there's not much fighting to be had, if any at all. It's logic puzzles or being guided along a track to hear the story. Games like Kholat and Layers of Fear (both sharing a musical composer in Arkadiusz Reikowski who scored things of eerie beauty) gave me worlds to explore and stories that unfolded without a single weapon in my hand.

Taking the cake for games that I have played the absolute most of, just, wasting time with, games that have devoured hours of my life that I can never have back with no reward other than tickling that pleasure center in my brain that looks to escape the mundane, were iOS games. It started with Magic the Gathering Puzzle Quest, but then I got into Puzzle & Dragons, and I shit you not, I have played that game every day since I very first played it. Now more recently, as it's not even been out a month, Mario Run has dug it's filthy toadstool stained claws into my thumb as I jump and twirl away in the Mushroom Kingdom...on my phone! Off my phone, but just as addicting, was the impulse buy, PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+. Waka waka waka in my dreams.

Going into 2017, though, I'm still not finished with older games that I'm finally getting around to, The Witcher, and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Mods can pretty these up on my current machine, giving them a gloss they didn't have when they were released. But, today, and the first entry that will go onto the 2017 log as a new game, Pokemon Sun. I picked Popplio as my starter Pokemon. I also purchased Pokemon Moon for the daughter and she has already started. Eventually we'll carve out some time to battle each other like good Pokemon trainers should. Actually, as I look at my list, I realize Pokemon GO isn't on here. Know that I and the daughter have played a crap-ton of that, as well, even got Ditto and Pikachu wearing a Santa hat!

So, without further ado, here is my log of games that I played in 2016, a truly terrible year, but one I was able to escape from in the waning hours of the night into some great video games. Now, hopefully the formatting of my log sticks as I click "Publish."


Game: Platform: Start: Beat: Online: Notes:
Fallout 3 GOTY PC 12/27/2015 1/30/2015
Beat main quest and all dlc
Dead Island PC 12/2/2015 3/5/2016 Online with Dave
Mount Your Friends PC 1/11/2016


Super Mario Maker Wii U *


Super Smash Bros Wii U Wii U 1/30/2015


SteamWorld Dig Wii U 1/31/2016 2/5/2016

Magic the Gathering Puzzle Quest iOS 12/9/2015 2/7/2016
Completed all chapters with Nissa
Beat Hazard PC *


Kholat PC 2/8/2016 2/13/2016

Bastion PC 2/13/2016 2/17/2016

Pokemon Shuffle 3DS 3/4/2015


GTAV PC *


Jet Set Radio PC 2/21/2016 2/27/2016

Pokemon Picross 3DS 2/26/2015


Mega Man NES 3/1/2016 3/2/2016

Mega Man II NES 3/3/2016 3/4/2016

Mega Man III NES 3/5/2016 3/5/2016

Mega Man IV NES 3/6/2016 3/6/2016

Trine PC 3/7/2016 3/15/2016 Online with Dave
Mega Man V NES 3/8/2016 3/9/2016

Mega Man VI NES 3/10/2016 3/12/2016

Mega Man VII SNES 3/13/2016 3/14/2016
Mega Man wants to murder Wily?
Mega Man 8 PS1 3/15/2016 3/16/2016

Mega Man 9 Wii 3/17/2016 3/20/2016

Mega Man 10 PS3 3/20/2016 3/27/2016
Mega Man takes a sick Wily to the hospital after beating him. Wily leaves medicine for all the robots when he inevitably escapes. THIS is a good MM ending!
Injustice PC 3/26/2016
Local with ANT
Syndicate PC 3/27/2016 4/13/2016 Online with Dave Beat single player
The Witcher PC 4/14/2016


Mario Kart 8 Wii U *
Local with family
Rocket League PC 4/21/2016
Online with Dave
Binary Domain PC 5/22/2016


Renegade Ops PC 5/24/2016 7/5/2016 Online with Dave
Pocket Jockey (Demo) 3DS ?


Puzzle & Dragons iOS 5/29/2016


Brutal Doom PC 6/3/2016


King of Fighters 2002 PC 6/10/2016
Local with ANT
DOOM (2016) PC 6/17/2016 7/9/2016 Online
Layers of Fear PC 7/15/2016 7/26/2016
Got "bad" ending
Peggle PC 8/5/2016 8/8/2017

Burnout Paradise PC 8/21/2017


Lord of the Rings: War in the North PC 8/22/2016
Online with Dave & Derek
Mortal Kombat X PC 9/15/2016


Devil Daggers PC 9/26/2016


Neverending Nightmares PC 10/4/2016 10/5/2016
Got "Final Descent" ending
Slain PC 10/8/2016 11/13/2016
Died a LOT
Duelist PC 10/29/2016


Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth PC 11/6/2016


PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+ PC 11/26/2016


Super Mario Run iOS 12/15/2016 12/26/2016
Cleared all courses
Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge Wii U 12/26/2016


Comments

Step Right Up